Monday, November 12, 2012

Church in its own due time

Church has been this kinda weird thing for me over the last however long. A few years back it began to feel like an uncomfortable place, physically and emotionally. It wasn’t overwhelming or anything at the beginning, it was more like it was emotionally confusing. Since I’m such a huge fan of emotions anyway, I had NO IDEA what was going on. I think the confusion had been there for much longer than I was aware, probably years before.
Eventually I couldn’t get myself to go to church meetings. I would think every week, OK, this Sunday I’ll start going back. Then Sunday would hit and it’d be like an anvil dragging my heart down. This is what I’ve understood in retrospect. At the time I thought that I was just lazy and had a lagging testimony. I tried to convince friends that I was lazy. I just couldn’t figure out why church was so hard.
You’d think that once I realized last November what had happened to me, that the abuse had happened repeatedly at a stake center and in other church settings, that I would’ve realized that I wasn’t lazy and weak of testimony.
Yeah, no.
I still struggle with thinking that I have a strong testimony. A friend commented a while back on my blog, “And just in case you ever question, you have a strong, strong testimony.” It actually made me cry, because I just don’t feel it all the time like other people tell me they can see it.

So what has coming back to church been like? 
Last January I got a blessing from someone I care as much about as anyone on this planet. One small snippet that I’ll share is that I was told that I would feel safe at church. So did I immediately go right back to church? No. I couldn’t. Like, physically and emotionally I wasn’t there yet.
Doubts about myself creeped in, of course, since I’d been told this in a blessing and I knew that it was true. But then it was like my mind was opened and I realized that not everything in that blessing that I was given was intended to be an immediate fix-all. The blessing was much more of a path that Heavenly Father was laying out for me. It was like pressure just rippled off my shoulders.
It might seem weird for me to say that Heavenly Father was chill with the fact that I wasn’t going to church. But really, that’s what it was. I know now, looking back, that if I had tried to force the issue, I wouldn’t have healed. Healing from abuse isn’t something you push. Abuse is something that is pushed onto you, you feel so out of control. Pushing back isn’t healing. Healing happens the way that it needs to if you want it to happen in your life.
I know that there were people that sometimes thought, if only she would go to church, she’d heal so much more quickly. I know this b/c of not only the vibes that were sent my way, but sometimes the words that were used.
Sometimes I felt like I was healing wrong.
I’m grateful that Heavenly Father has been so open with me, that he has never given me the feeling that he’s displeased with the way that I’m doing this healing stuff. To be honest, when I was in dark places, I wanted him to be angry at me. But I never, ever felt his disappointment or condemnation.
I’m pretty sure that it’s this support that helped me continue on doing what I needed to do, including not forcing the issue about church. When the bishop called me at the beginning of September, that was when my heart was ready for that part of my healing.
It’s my healing, meaning that the path of my healing will be unique. It’s taken me a while to realize this. I think it started to sink in over the summer. I’ve had to push back a few times against others’ ideas of what to do. For so long I kinda did whatever. I’m independent and stuff, but on certain things I acquiesced where it wasn’t healthy.

Going to church can still be really hard. Today was terribly hard for some reason. I feel like the biggest victory of today was the simple fact that I was there. I had to fight for it the whole time that I was there and I have no idea what was discussed. Today’s lesson from church seems to be that I can be there. But finally I’m going because I know that it’s helping me instead of hurting me. I’m not going because other people think it’s important for me.

Frankly, I couldn’t care less if other people want me to be there, if other people think it’s important for me. Right now I need to listen to my heart and let it drown out the outside noise and let in what helps. Maybe that sounds harsh, but it’s only when I do that that I have been able to heal.

Church is now mine, it’s part of my path to healing, a path that Heavenly Father laid out for me. What I’ve learned from this is that everything happens in its due time.

7 comments:

just a little bit mo said...

Thanks for your honesty, V. It's a tough, little-talked of fact that some people need a "break" from church before they can start going again. I'm glad you can see what a victory it was just for you to be there. Soon you'll find you have a stack of victories great and small behind you.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Thanks for your words, MO. Thanks for everything you've been and done for me.

Brittany said...

I love you Vanessa. You are amazing. xo

Vanessa Swenson said...

Thanks, prima. abrazos

M said...

Hooray for you and personal revelation! It can be hard to go by it when there's such a "you should....." culture at church.

I'm proud of you for being brave enough to heal, but also for being brave enough to do it the way YOU need to, and to actively involve God in making that plan, rather than having someone else lay one (probably a much more one-size-fits-all, less effective because of it's lack of personalization) out for you.

And I love you. :-)

Vanessa Swenson said...

Brigada, Em. It's been (unsurprisingly) a hard thing for me to stake my claim on. And yes, thank quite literally the heavens for personal revelation.
I can't see anyway that one size fits all could possibly work in this type of situation.
Te amo também.

Nat said...

We all heal differently and it's okay. No two people will ever have the exact same experience, because even if it might sound similar - everything is unique to each of us. It's a lot of pressure... the feeling that you must do things "perfectly" or "in the right way." I feel it everyday. I know that most of it comes from myself, I have a very hard time (like break-down/ paralyzing hard time) feeling like I'm failing, especially when it comes to expectations. The expectations that I have for myself and those that I feel others have for me.

I'm so grateful for a loving God who wants the best for us and doesn't push us. He's just always waiting to open doors, give hugs, heal hearts. Each time I had a miscarriage or when my brother was killed, I just needed the solitude away from the world - from people, people who expected me to be fine (because they didn't understand or didn't know). That solitude included a bit of a break from going to church. Each time I went back it was still hard, initially.
What a victory for you indeed!

I don't mean to compare anything. I just want you to know that you are not alone in having feelings other than "the norm" (which doesn't exist). I love you! I'm always proud of you! And you have never been anything less than AMAZING!