Monday, October 15, 2012

Ever learning-ish


2 Tim 3:7
This post will be a bit stream of consciousness-y because I don't have fixed ideas totally yet.

My Philosophy of Language class always sends me off on some kind of reverie of thought for at least 15 minutes every Monday. This is where I went today:

Therapist mentioned last week that I'm so analytical that I have to understand something before I can trust anything at all about it, including emotions or whatever else it means for me. This can be useful and not so great all at once.

There's a verse in 2 Timothy 3:7 that has eaten at me for years. I've been concerned for a long time that it's describing my brain and my faith. "Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." And in verse 8, do I resist truth? I think part of this goes back to my post on healing about how I was inactive b/c I was lazy or something.

So here's what I maybe learned today, or at least had reinforced today.

Maybe my faith "problems" are really just a fear of my own ability to do right--all based around the idea that if I'd simply done right, I wouldn't have been hurt. Only I was doing my very best and others were bent on hurting me to get their perverse jones. The idea does still haunt me that "if only I hadn't been so weak..." I still feel this. But I was trained to be weak or at least to feel weak.

But on the other hand, I have fought thru this--I've shown my inner strength. I've fought to be myself even in the face of a couple of other people trying to control my soul and destiny. These people tried to rework my insides for their own purposes. Yet I am who I am and not what they wanted me to be.

So imagine my surprise when I realized that this shows my faith in myself and the idea of me--no matter the horrid manipulations and frankly wicked attempts of others. I believe that this is my faith in God, but it also necessarily is a conviction about (a previously unrecognized) faith in myself. A faith that I know that I can be ok someday.

If I didn't think that I could do this--survive successfully--I wouldn't be pushing forward and I'd leave myself in a swirl of pain, which, let's not kid ourselves, I still often feel myself stuck in. I'd continue to believe that I deserved what I got.

So I'm guessing that I don't really understand 2 Tim 3:7 at all. I think part of the trick is found in D&C 8 where you have to understand in your head and heart. I'm afraid to feel b/c I've been big-time hurt repeatedly to the point where even being around people that love and care for me, it's pain. Being loved hurts. It hurts a lot. I also know that it's healing me.

To quote the Fresh Prince, my life is being flipped-turned upside down.

5 comments:

M said...

So, just a random thought on that verse.....there's no "and therefore" or "and so" that links the ever learning as causing the never coming to truth.

For what that's worth.

And I love your stream of consciousness. :-)

Vanessa Swenson said...

Oh, that's a brilliant point. I really like that.

Jared Blanco said...

HOLY CRAP. I have been so out of the loop with your blog. I had no idea any of this happened. I just spent the last 30 minutes reading and trying to process what was going on. In that short time my heart has broken, come together, broken, got stitched up, and swelled with love for you and your courage.

You are brave, you are worthy and a powerful example for me. I've been stunned, saddened, and inspired all at once. Please know how much I love and admire you.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Obrigada, Jarede. Your comment means a lot to me, a lot a lot.

Marie said...

For what it's worth as well, I believe that verse is referring to people that have absolutely no belief in God and are trying to learn without even considering a divine realm of knowledge. This is NOT you.