Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Vietnam Memorial Moving Wall

There's this really wonderful thing called The Moving Wall. It's a really amazing thing, especially considering the fact that not everyone gets to go to D.C. to see the original wall.
It was in Spanish Fork over the weekend and I went on on Sunday night.
I wish that I'd had a better camera to take pictures of what happened while I was there. A vet was standing by the wall next to a group of names from his company that all died on the same day. He held a picture of his company in his hands and told stories. At first it was just his family, children and grandkids. Then people started gathering. By the end, I'd wager there were 50 more of us around, listening to his stories and looking at the wall.

It was wonderful to listen to him. And hard to know that he went thru what he went thru. And I was really glad that he was willing to tell his story.

The edge of the group of people
The end of the list

2 comments:

Lydia and Josh said...

I volunteered at the moving wall helping people find names in 2001 in Alameda, CA. It was an amazing experience.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I bet it was. It would've been cool to be a volunteer.