Friday, September 17, 2010

500! This deserves a nerd admission

Hello, 500th Entry, let's do something exciting for you. And what can be more exciting that telling the blogosphere that I got to meet my favorite historian?! Yes, I am a nerd; I have a favorite historian. But, when you got it, flaunt it. Thus I'm going to share the story quick.

Doris Kearns Goodwin is a presidential historian who loves baseball. She was in Baseball by Ken Burns, which is where I first heard of her back when I was 15. I thought she was awesome. Come to find out she writes great history, too.

She gave a lecture yesterday at UVU and I went an hour early so that I could get a good seat. Then she signed books:


Like the uber nerd that I am, I told her that she was my favorite historian, that I first heard of her in the Baseball doc. We talked for like 10 seconds about the Red Sox winning the World Series and about the 10th Inning premiering this month.

I was on cloud 9.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Vanessa, I just wanted to let you know that I think you are awesome. That is all.

Vanessa Swenson said...

hah! thanks.

rantipoler said...

Nerd admission? More like a nerd alert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJHn5tSZzoE

rantipoler said...

Seriously, though, that's awesome.