Tuesday, September 29, 2009

guilt vs. godly sorrow

I know that this is sort of semantics, but it's useful to me. A few years back I realized the difference between two forms of shame. Guilt is something that festers that makes you feel unworthy, especially if you dwell on the problem causing the guilt. Godly sorrow is something that's sorta like guilt, but it pushes you to want to improve, let go of and become more like God.

Anyway, the reason why I mention this is because it again popped into my mind over the weekend. I know that I can get on a soap box about it. But if it's not helping us to improve, really we just need to let it go.

And that's all I have to say about that.

3 comments:

Jeremy & Andrea said...

I LOVE this! This is a soap box of mine as well. I hate when people say they hate listening to such and such topic at church because they feel so guilty..blah..blah..blah..
or when people try to guilt trip you into doing something...pretty sure that guilt is not what heavenly father uses to help motivate us to be the kings and queens we are.
Thanks Ness!

Vanessa Swenson said...

Amen.
wait, you probably didn't mean that.

oh, and i agree with what you said.

Marie said...

Hey, I was going to say amen to your blog...