Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WWII Vet

At the BYU game tonight there was a man on the row right below me and my grandma at the end of it wearing a WWII Vet hat. I sidled over to him after the game and asked him where he'd served. He told me that he was in the army in Europe and then after V-E Day he was transferred to the Pacific Theatre. In New Guinea he said that almost every man in his squad was killed when they landed, but he survived and went to the Philippines and into Japan where he served as military police.
I shook his hand and thanked him for his service and he smiled. I told him I was sorry about his squad and he smiled again and said that he'd see them again.
I really think they are the greatest generation.

4 comments:

sallysue said...

This is why I love playing with that one orchestra in downtown SLC...they are always honoring veterans. And everytime, I tear up. They are so humble and grateful.

Larissa said...

Love this man. I have such a special, tender place in my heart for World War II vets. It was a different time, when people felt fiercely loyal and dutiful to, not necessarily the country, but the people in the country - and they would give their lives for us. I can't help but feel these men saved our lives.

rantipoler said...

Nice. I learned not too long ago that my mom's father (biological) served in WWII. I have nothing but admiration for those that served.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I wish blogger let me "like" comments because I really, really liked all of these comments.