Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dystopia and Young Adult Novels

So I tried the Hunger Games series a while back. I persevered thru the first book because I'd heard/read so many people talking about how they were completely drawn into the series. But I've gotta be honest, I really didn't want to finish that first audiobook, I was so angered (disgusted?) by the situation the kids were in.

When I tried the 2nd book about a month after the first, it was seriously dragging me down. I'm all about pushing thru and finishing a book series once you've started it. I mean, I finished The Work and The Glory series, even though I couldn't handle the cheesy writing style (everyone spoke with a "husky" voice and looked up thru their eyebrows in an anatomical feat of contortionist excellence when emotional). And it's not like I'm trying to avoid pain completely, I am a Mets fan. But there was something about the Hunger Games series that I just couldn't deal with.

Wonderful Wendy said that I didn't have to finish. She answered the few questions that I had and I moved on with my life. Rarely do I not finish a book series. But, wow, Hunger Games haunted me.

3 comments:

sallysue said...

What to say...I am one who loved the books but I do wonder how, because, as you say, the kids are in a terrible situation. I'll have to think again as to why I liked them, (maybe like is the wrong word?).
I will say, if you like dystopian YA books, I just read Matched...similar ideas sans violence.

Vanessa Swenson said...

It's sort of confusing. I mean, I appreciated the movie Hotel Rwanda, but I can't say that I liked it. But it was flat-out amazing. I sobbed through it and it took me four hours to watch.
I don't know where the line is on these things. I felt like Hotel Rwanda was important to see, but the Hunger Games wasn't that way with me.
But it really draws tons of people in.

rantipoler said...

I really want to read those books. By the way, don't even think about reading the Millennium trilogy. Talk about suffering . . . they are dark, dark, dark.