Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pondering *the* moments that I've watched

{The following is a sports indulgence. But at least there are short video clips!}

After watching and thinking about and reliving Donovan's goal today, I started thinking about the moments when my favorite team pulled off the amazing.
The 1986 baseball season was the first time that I paid attention to any sport. I was seven and completely enamored with the Mets. I picked a great year to love them.
I still remember when this happened and how I felt:

I had a poster of the ball going between Buckner's legs and Mookie Wilson about to round first on my wall for about 6 years.

I branched out from baseball, loved the Redskins who won the 1988 Super Bowl, and fell in love with the Utah Jazz.
In 1997, Stockton made the most important 3-pointer in the history of the Jazz, sending them to the Finals:


I was on my mission for One Last Miracle for Lavell, but this play still might have beaten that out:

(I absolutely hate that this rivalry is going to die. It was by far one of the best in the nation.)

Donovan's goal today joins the list:

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Maybe it was because Q did gymnastics or because she was going to school in Arizona, but Kerri Strug's 1996 final vault definitely makes my list. Not quite as explosive as the goal, but a favorite.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Oh, that is an excellent choice. Brilliant. Kerri was tuff with 2 ffs.