Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The shrinking gene hot tub of Spanish Fork: the good & the bad

Lily Mott once referred to my hometown of Spanish Fork as my "gene hot tub." I doubt there's ever been a more true statement in regards to me and The Fork. {Luckily my dad married someone from Minnesota, so I come from a gene kiddy pool.}

The closeness in relations in Spanish Fork while I was growing up has led to lots of great things. For example, I often knew part of the families of my uncles' wives. In fact, one year for Thanksgiving we went to my Aunt Bonnie's dad's house for dinner, and I just called him Grandpa Orr anyway. It was no big deal because small-town Spanish Fork is like that. {And to be honest, in a lot of situations, a lot of us were probably distantly related.}

Grandpa Orr died last week and his funeral was this last Monday, and my Aunt Bonnie gave an amazing--I mean AMAZING--talk about her father and the strength of family. I sat in a pew next to my mom and my Aunt Dana, who is married to the youngest uncle, Lynn, who was next to her, and, at the end, his mom, my Grandma Swenson. None of us are related to Grandpa Orr, but in a way it doesn't really feel like that. In Spanish Fork, the relations of your relations are thus your extended relations. I love it.

It's sad that this connection is being lost in large part because of the influx of people. SF doubled size in the 90s from 11,000 to 22,000+ and it now how about 33,000. This is good, though, because it means that the next generation of Spanish Forkers probably won't have 5 eyeballs and a genetically-mutated superfluous third leg.

5 comments:

sallysue said...

And now you have to share a high school with those heathens from Mapleton.
hah.
Oh, but you do get a temple out of it. That is going to ve so odd. A good odd, but nonetheless, odd.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

this reminds me of something unrelated, sort of. does anyone in spanish fork shorten the name to just spanish? because simon's mom does...her family is from "spanish" and benjamin, so she's been doing it for years, i suppose, and i've wondered if it's a thing or not. either way, it bugs the heck out of me.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Everyone in South Utah County (heretofore to be known as The UC) refers to it as Spanish. Well, except me and my friends, because it's just funny to call it The Fork.
And, for good measure, em português o nome traduz para Bifurcação Espanhola, mas Garfo Espanhol, outra vez, é mais engraçado.

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

haha, i'm totally calling it bifurcação now, haha. or maybe garfo. el garfo.

M said...

I really love small towns and their culture, and family-feeling. It does get sort of creepy when the area high school shows signs of the "let's all just stay in our hometowns forever and not meet/marry any outsiders" consequences. :-)