Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Question about fears

I've had this question that I've been mulling around in my head for a while. Do you think fears that you carry into your adulthood ever truly go away?

I ask is because when I was in junior high I was terrified of escalators. But I overcame that after about a year or two of morbid fear.
At around the same time I started to realize that I was afraid of fish. (I know, my fears are weird.) I've been fighting that fear for a long time. I have a lot of it suppressed now (for example, tonight I had excellent sushi). But I've disconnected sushi from the live, scary fish mostly. And by live and scary, I'm also including Finding Nemo. Being able to watch it was a real accomplishment for me.*
I know that my fear is still underlying and I simply control it. But if you catch me off guard, hoo boy, it's quite the spectacle.

So, do you think fears that we carry into adulthood ever truly disappear, or do we just learn to control them, but carry at least a portion of the phobia somewhere in our psyche?


*I had a little episode when I searched out that picture. That fish brings back the fear, and how.
**I also recognize that, in writing this blog, I open myself up to large-scale mockery. I accept it.

8 comments:

M said...

I have a totally irrational fear of someone taking my children away (for whatever reason)....I think it's just controlled, but still there.

Does fear ever really go away, or just morph as we gain experience??

Jeremy & Andrea said...

i think we learn to control them just like we do everything in our lives. Eventually we develop our minds, hearts and spirits to be more god like and then really when reach that ulitmate goal what fear would we have.
On a side note. I'll never forget your massive episode as you opened my parents freezer to millions of frozen fish staring at you. *RESPECTFUL CHUCKLE* *SIGH* You're pretty awesome ness!

Marie said...

Hum, I wonder why you would be scared of that fish. Those big ginormous eyes and teeth seem pretty harmless to me.
I've discovered that my fears get worse as I grow older. There were not a lot of things I was afraid of when I was younger and now I seem to have so many phobias, and they get worse. I used to walk right to the edge of the grand canyon without any fear (other people telling me to get away from the edge) and now I can't even drive up Sundance canyon without freaking out.

Jared Blanco said...

You are such an ichthyophobe. I don't even know if I can pronounce that.

If this is an unofficial FSA (Fears Somewhat Anonymous) meeting, I'm afraid that I forget important things all the time. And sometimes those fears are justified, but most of the time, they aren't. It just leads me into being overly stressed, especially at school (oh crap, was I supposed to read that for today?)

rantipoler said...

I've mostly gotten over my fear of the dark and the one about someone breaking in to my house to steal my baby brother, but I've developed others. For example, fear of spiders. When I was a kid I had a pet spider and now the sight of one makes my skin crawl. I dunno. And if it makes you feel any better, there are some fish that are VERY scary. Like piranhas.

Amy B. Jones said...

I am terrified of bridges. Always have been , always will be. There's a long story behind it, but basically it'll never go away.

Beth schell said...

I have a horrible fear of sharp objects, mostly being stabbed in the eye with something sharp. I doubt I'll ever get lasik. But now I don't freak out every time Reid holds a knife even remotely close to me, just every other time.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I'm thinking that we might always carry these fears with us, just at varying levels. Hopefully our ability to control them will improve.

Andrea: those fish were TERRIFYING!