Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dreamy City Street Planning

I have vivid dreams, this has been established.

The downtowns (and sometimes outer areas) of Utah cities are well organized into a grid format, right? Main Street is 0, the next block over is 100, then the next is 200, etc. etc. etc.
Same pattern for Center Street: 0, next block is 100, next block is 200, etc. etc. etc.
I've had people complain to me that Utah cities make no sense because the streets don't have names, only numbers. I admittedly and very honestly have found this complaint asinine, because the pattern makes lots of sense.

Anyway, I guess my subconscious is even more frustrated by this because last night my most vivid dream was about a pattern that could be created to solve this problem: double street names. The streets get a number, as well as a name. The trick with the name is--wait for it--they will be alphabetized. Main Street then 100 + A-name, 200 + B-name, etc. etc. etc.

Following is a basic mock-up, similar to the one that I created in my dream:

Problem solved.

3 comments:

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

a lot of kansas city does this with their neighborhood streets. it's a really great idea on a large scale too. except when you get above 26....

tiffany garfield said...

Only you Vanessa, only you. First it cracks me up that you would think of this so much as to come up with a solution. Second, I'm impressed because honestly, it's not a bad idea. You should take it to the city! Seriously! love you! twink :)

Marie said...

I don't get either why people are confused by the street numbering system. It does seem pretty basic.