Monday, May 26, 2008

Fake Things in Heaven

I realized a while ago that I had this crazy idea, well fantasy, really, about what Heaven was going to be like. Mainly I thought that I would get to see Asher Lev's art--his two Crucifixions being the most important. I would think about how excited I was to be able to see his art, as if when you die fiction became true or real. Honestly. I constantly have to remind myself that this isn't true. Truthfully, though...I still sorta hope that it is.

This desire to see Asher Lev's art has since been extended to encompass other fiction:

I'm excited to visit Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic. I know that they're building a theme park. But it's not going to have real magic. So that's something that I'm foolishly looking forward to in Heaven.

You may wonder about Star Trek. Well the truth there is that since it's set in the future, it has as of yet to happen, so it's more like I'm just waiting for it to happen.


Ok, I know full well that I am crazy. But you can't tell me that you don't have things from fiction that you don't wish were real and could sometime see them in person. In fact, I bet there are other things that I'm just expecting to be able to see or hear that I'm not going to get to see. Shoot.

8 comments:

M said...

Every time I read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books I want to hang out with her. I guess she's a real person...just not alive any more.

And I'd like to meet Jane Austen's "Edward Ferrars" and "Fitzwilliam Darcy" characters and see if they're really as much like Ben as I read them to be. :-)

Vanessa Swenson said...

Did you know that I'm related to Laura Ingalls? Her mom's a cousin. Family history right there!!

sallysue said...

I would hope that some of our bestest storybook friends are there! I mean - some really have helped us out of tough situations, ya know.

rantipoler said...

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. There are plenty of fictional worlds I wish I could jump into. Especially when I want to escape this one.

Myra Bybee said...

Ha ha ha! I love this! I totally want to see Asher's artwork and the real Hogwarts! And how about Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!

Vanessa Swenson said...

Wonka's factory is a brilliant idea? Escaping into that'd be a good idea. I'm sure in Heaven eating chocolate is like dieting.

Claire said...

oh my goodness...I thought I was the only one! I would really like to see the world of Jasper Fford's Thursday Next books and the endless library of Borges, oh and the animals of the eleventh hour, and where the wild things....ok, i'm done for now.

Marie said...

All of U2-oh wait, they are real. But will I see them in heaven?