Monday, September 3, 2012

Healing

I've gone back and forth on whether or not I'd ever post this part of my life's story to my blog. Today I've gone back and forth on whether or not I'd post this particular story from earlier today to my blog. As I'm typing this I'm still not sure if it'll see the light of the internet b/c we all know how trustworthy the internet can be. Perhaps just typing it out is what I need. We'll see if it gets posted.


First the necessary and not-at-all-pleasant background so that you'll know why the resolution that I got today was so profound for me.

Years ago over about a half a year's time, I was repeatedly assaulted and molested by {dirtbag}. I'm pretty positive that none of the five people that read this blog know {dirtbag}. This horrible person worked my soul into the ground so that I had no fight left, so that I didn't have the emotional strength to fight back. {Dirtbag} turned me into an object for whatever sick need {dirtbag} was feeling at the time. I was not a child when this happened, I was much older. Age didn't matter. {Dirtbag} and predators like {dirtbag} don't necessarily focus on age, they focus on want they want and go after it. 

I was not cognizant of what happened to me until last year, around November. It was like I knew it but mostly my brain didn't understand what it was and so that part was shut down. But when I realized what it was, my life crashed around me: night-long flashbacks, nightmares, panic attacks, inability to concentrate, etc. 

Different aspects of my life began to make sense, as well. I hadn't (haven't) been active in the church for a while. I thought that I was simply lazy, or that maybe my testimony wasn't strong enough, or that maybe I was just a bad person. No. What really was going on was that {dirtbag} molested me and attacked me various times at a church. What had been so pushed back into the deep recesses of my mind could no longer stay; it was leaking out and I was in pain--a lot of it. Because of all of {dirtbag}'s attacks in church-related settings, my emotional ability to handle even simple scripture study or prayer was like reliving a bit of the pain. I had no words to describe it, except that I was sure that I was weak, pathetic and lazy of spirit.

No. I wasn't.

At the end of last November I began seeing a therapist, and thus the healing began.

It's been hard. I've had to fight so many times just to be able to do a bit of homework. There have been times where I've had to fight for the next minute, where my hope was that the next minute would bring the peace and solace that would be enough for me to survive to the minute after that.

I have had better times, times where I've laughed, had fun, had my worries and my burdens lifted. Days where I don't feel the pain and the pressure smashing at my heart. There have been times where I've even felt victorious.

All of this is leading to what happened today. 

We're in a new ward after the move. The bishop called me on Wednesday b/c he wanted to meet me, so we set up an appointment for today. We chatted for a while and then I told him why I hadn't been active in the church for so long. Without going into great detail I explained how I'd been attacked at a church repeatedly and elsewhere. The look on his face was one of concern, love, sorrow and support. We talked a bit and he asked me about my healing--if I'd felt any, especially thru the atonement. (Yes, very distinctly at times.)

Then he said two sentences that became the catalyst for this post: "I want you to know that it wasn't your fault. You are divinely clean." My head tilted a bit to the right and then the tears flowed down my cheeks. I sat there with the tears on my cheeks, as they are again now, and I knew and I know that what he said was true.

This feeling and this knowledge is why I decided to write this and post it for the masses to read. I am not alone in this. Countless others have suffered a similar terrible fate to mine. {Dirtbags} exist everywhere. But knowing and feeling that nothing these horrendous people have done to us is our fault, that none of it makes us unclean, or dirty and filthy like I've felt for so long, this gives us the power back. 

I write this to share this knowledge and to no longer hide behind the shame. I'm speaking out so that maybe one more person won't feel so alone. What happened to me isn't who I am, but it certainly is who {dirtbag} is. I refuse to hide anymore behind a veil of pain and guilt. The more that we can speak openly about surviving molestation and sexual assaults in a safe way, the less power the perpetrators have. The more that we act with understanding toward victims and survivors, wrapping them in protective and healing love, the safer this world will be.


After the bishop and I finished our discussion, I walked into sacrament meeting, sat down by a couple of friends and their perfect little girl, and took the sacrament as though it were the most normal part of my Sunday.

20 comments:

rantipoler said...

You know this already, but I love you and I'm very proud of you. Do I sound like a broken record yet? :)

I wholeheartedly agree that we victims of sexual assault should do our best to speak openly and honestly about what happened to us. Hopefully doing so will not only help us heal, but also help others who have gone through something similar. Thanks for being brave enough to talk about it here.

Jessica said...

Wow, you are an amazing person. I mean that.

M said...

I'm so sorry that this is something that happened to you.

I'm proud of you for speaking out, and impressed with the progress you are making.

And I love you!!

just a little bit mo said...

It's very brave of you to post this. And I think you are very right to do so. Your bishop sounds like a very, very good person. I'm glad he was there for you to give you those very much needed words.

You know how much I respect and look up to you. And just in case you ever question, you have a strong, strong testimony.

It's ok to feel things.

Larissa said...

I am in awe of you and your strength. I am beyond grateful for you for posting this because I know there is someone out there who needs to read these words - who needs to know they are not alone nor are they at fault. I always feel such sorrow when I learn a friend of mine has been suffering alone. Thank you for making sure no one else is alone. I love you!

Kimberly said...

I hope that posting this will help the healing in some way (or at the least, not hinder it) because the more people talk about sexual assault the easier it will be talk about (I hope).

Lydiahawke said...

Love you Vanessa!

Marie said...

I'm so glad you have been able to feel this new healing and strength and that you are speaking out about it. I echo the words of others, you are amazing!

Vanessa Swenson said...

Thanks, everybody. I wish I had better words to describe what the support and love really meant to me, but I don't.

Share this with people if you want, people that you know. I'm okay with it being passed on to other people. Suffering alone is hell. But knowing that I'm not alone and that friends and family have had my back--and heart--and soul--thru this has saved me.

Angela said...

it is hell. I just wish I had a way to deal with it myself but unfortuantly I'm still in denial. Thanks for sharing. Would love to go into further detail later on.

Megan said...

Darling Vanessa,
Thank you for posting this. I am so sorry for your suffering. I love you very, very much and I am so proud of you. You've always been one of my heroes and you continue to be.
LOVE YOU Megan

Mistletoe said...

Darling,
I know that you have no idea who I am. I just stumbled across your blog. I love your post. I'm terribly sorry for your sorrow. You've probably heard that a lot, but that's too bad. ;) Anyway, I love your strength, and bravery for coming out and posting this. There ARE {dirtbags} everywhere, and it gives them power when people keep quiet about them. It makes me a bit sick to think that this was happening in a church building. Your bishop is right, it's not your fault at ALL. I don't know you, and I'm sorry if this is weird, but I freaking LOVE you. I hope that you will be able to enjoy life more often. I'm glad that you are on the best track to recovery :) <3

Vanessa Swenson said...

Again, thank you all. Words are inadequate.

Rachel said...

Oh Venom, I'm so sorry for such an experience! You are such a strong person, if anyone can heal from such a thing, you can! I'm far away, but if we can support you in any way, please say so :)

emily said...

As I get older it becomes clearer and clearer to me that this sort of thing happens to a lot more people than we like to admit. Which is not to say that it's "normal" in any sense, but rather, I think, that it's too "uncomfortable" to talk about it, even in communities that are supposed to be based on love and trust. And all too often, discomfort becomes linked with shame. Maybe we ought to think of "sensitive" topics as just that—topics that deserve, even require, us to be sensitive, open, genuine.

I can't imagine what you've gone through, but I do have an inkling of the kind of strong-willed, good-hearted person you are, and I know you're going to be OK. I hope sharing makes it a little easier.

Sometimes I wish we lived closer so we could talk about things that matter. And things that don't. Like Francis Scott Key keys.

annewjex said...

Vanessa I am trying to post this for the 100th time!!!! You know my struggles with technology!! This is not my talent!!! I I havE typed this 5 times and can't get past that password thing!!! Here goes again.... I have been thinking about you all day! My heart breaks for what pain you have been through! You are an amazing person and I know you will be an influence for good to help others! You already gave me strength just seeing how strong you are! Sending my love and prayers dear friend!
Love ya, Anne

Carylee said...

Miss you girl! Hope you have a beautiful day today. Each time I get to know more about you I think you are more and more amazing. Looking forward to the Womens broadcast tonight. Gaining strength from others helps us in this life, which is so short. TTFN

annie (the annilygreen one) said...

this seems like as good a time as any to tell you how much i admire you. i think about you often (not just when i see a cool license plate) as you are a great example of goodness, intelligence, humor, and kindness. and now i see that you are honest and brave. thank you for this post.

Aimee said...

Love you and admire you more than ever today!! I think you are amazing for "opening your mouth" about this. I'm sure it will do good for you and many others. Who knew the Bishop you needed was waiting in Georgia?!!! Heavenly Father is so incredibly loving and powerful to bring this moment together for you, and I'm glad for you to feel some relief.

Te amo.

Jenny said...

Those 2 sentences your bishop said...those are words I believe the Savior himself would say. They are beautiful and true. I love you. Thank you so much for posting this!