Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bracket Idea at 7:46am

You think my last few posts have been nerdy? How about the idea I had Monday morning right after I woke up: Create a bracket of 32 verbs for my students to fill out à la March Madness.

 

So I totally made the thing before classes this morning, complete with regions based on how the verbs conjugate in the present tense. I am now in the running for the world's biggest nerd.
And if you want to play along, which I know you all do, here's the link to the spreadsheet and the link to the PDF. 3 points for a win, 2 bonus points if you pick an upset victory, like 8-seed Butler beating 1-seed Pitt. Finally 5 bonus points if you get the champion correct, and 4 bonus if you get the runner-up correct.
You know I'm going to totally post the victories for each round as they happen.

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Ok, that's not nerdy, that's awesome! Or maybe nerdy awesome? Whatever it is, I don't even speak Portuguese and I'm totally playing.

Amy B. Jones said...

I don't get it... How should they be conjugated, how which one wins? But I totally want to play!!

Vanessa Swenson said...

Just pick your favorite verb of each pair. I fixed the spreadsheet so the #7 seed the the -ir region has been corrected. (The PDF's still wrong)
Just keep picking the best verb of each pair. Comer's a popular one of course. Everybody loves comer, and rightly so.

I'll probably post the first round winners tonight or tomorrow.

I should do games more often. I think the last one I did was the Chastity Talk Bingo. It's been way too long.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Kim, thanks for supporting my nerdy and calling it awesome. Nerdy awesome is a high compliment.

rantipoler said...

I agree with Kim. Nerdy Awesome. And I have you picked as the winner on my nerdy awesome bracket. :)

Beth schell said...

I totally love this and wish I had seen it earlier! What about abencoar? I always loved that one. Speaking of love, what about amar? andar? ver? I'm glad to see trazer and fazer- two of my favs!

Vanessa Swenson said...

Now that the semester's over and I have a mo, I'm going to post the winning bracket so that you can all see how things played out. We can also score your own bracket.

If you want, you can email it to me at iamvenom (at) gmail