Monday, March 18, 2013

Not Firsts During Spring Break

Going to the Lincoln Memorial


Going to the Jefferson Memorial

Going to the FDR Memorial


Chilling with Eleanor

Touching the ground where an ancestor would have been
Listening to Harry Potter audiobooks while driving on an interstate
Calling my grandma all excited because of some family history something that I found
Seeing the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution
Going to the National Gallery

El Greco
Falling in love with 14th century Italian art
 
Paulus

Feeling transported by art

Seeing a da Vinci

Seeing a Rafael

Adoring Salvador Dalí's Last Supper
Feeling grateful for the brave people that have gone before me
Soldier at the Vietnam Memorial
Getting a sunburn/tan on my left arm from driving with the window down
Returning to get another look at a triptych

Hanging out with Chris

Laughing myself sick with my cousin Katie
Reminding myself that my cousins are the best cousins
Being reminded of why I love Jefferson's words


Feeling overwhelmed at a battlefield
Union cemetery at Marye's Heights, Fredericksburg
Statue erected by New Jersey vets at the Bloody Angle

Bloody Angle from a Union viewpoint
Closing my eyes just to listen and feel at a spot where an ancestor had been
Beaver Dam Lutheran Cemetery in NC, next to the plot of land where a church once stood where my ancestors worshiped
Williams Township, PA
East Angle, Spotsylvania Battlefield, VA
Prying myself away from someplace because I know that I have to leave
Correcting a random stranger about a fact of our country's history
Staring in awe at Lincoln, thinking of all he did

Reading the Gettysburg Address
Cemetery Hill, Gettysburg
Rereading the Gettysburg Address
Lincoln Memorial, DC
Taking pictures of wacko license plates
Hand Cart? Votes on whether or not the driver is Mormon?
Seeing someone touch a name at the Vietnam Memorial
Feeling my heart hurt at the Vietnam Memorial

Tearing up at a spot where one of my ancestors stood
Singing along loudly with my music in various languages
Eating pie (cheesecake) on π day


2 comments:

Marie said...

I love the Vietnam Memorial.
I love your pictures. It sounds like an awesome trip.

rantipoler said...

Love it. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

And I vote Mormon on that one.