Wednesday, December 19, 2012

North Carolina Relatives

I went to visit a friend in Charlotte Monday night, and then hit up some areas in old Tryon County, NC. In reality, I traipsed around all of the present-day counties in the erstwhile Tryon County.
Why? FAMILY HISTORY!!

So first I went here. I met a woman that I'm distantly related to, like fifth half cousin twice removed. But still. I went to this building and met a relative:


Then I set out to find some of my own family's history hot spots. Took a wrong turn near Cherryville, NC. No worries, found another family name! Eaker! I mean they were neighbors.



But don't fear! I found the main reason why I'd gone all that way: 


This picture shows the marker set up on Christian Mauney's land (an Nth great uncle). Here in 1775 my Nth Great Grandpa Jacob Mauney signed his name to the Tryon Resolves. It was a treasonable defense because they stood up against the Crown, decrying the actions actions Massachusetts. It's hard to describe how I felt standing there. I'd be lying if I didn't tear up a bit thinking about it all.

I was the first member of my family's direct line to stand in that spot in probably 220 years.


 Close-ups:

Uncle Christian donated the property for the site of the old court house. Also Cornwallis camped there? Huh.


I broke off a small branch with a few leaves to dry them. I also decided kinda on the spot to get an old water bottle and put some dirt in it, some of the earth where my ancestor stood and fearlessly signed his name for freedom and rights of man.
I stood there and soaked it in. It was so overwhelming. It has been more than 237 years since the Resolves were signed.

I bumbled around Cherryville a bit b/c my ancestors essentially settled what became the city. Also, I went to the filthiest (in many ways) and most revolting gas station I've ever been to. Ew.
Ew. Ew. Ew.

Then I drove back down the Old Court House Road to go to this intersection. I drove on the Mauney Farm Road for a while, because it was the land of my Nth uncles, the most accessible by car. I rolled down my windows, opened the sunroof and soaked in the area.
I got out of the car to take this picture and a woman stopped to ask if I was lost. I told her what I was up to. Her words, "Oh! My grandma, my mom's mom, was a Mooney!"
Seriously, I have distant relatives everywhere there. She then described things to me, the lay of the land, how many Mooney's there were. She thinks the people that kept the "Mauney" spelling are the snooty, have-money ones. Hah!



Then I drove the nearest I could get to my Nth Great Grandaddy's land I shook head my thinking how he was a tanner just over the way, how he had 300 acres the butted up against the creek that I was at that moment driving over.

I really couldn't believe it.
Could not believe it.

So, you know, all I've got now is to go to Pennsylvania Dutch country, Alsace and Switzerland. No biggie.

No comments: