Thursday, August 9, 2012

Weirdest thing I've done at a motel is...

OK, maybe the title of this post sends the reader off on the wrong trail. I'm a very boring person, so the end of the sentence is ...build bookends.
Yep, Tuesday afternoon I grabbed my tools, bought paint, sandpaper, wood glue and got some lumber cut then headed to a motel in Manchester, TN to get to work:

 The sanded them over a bag to catch the dust, then organized pieces of wood.
 TV: Sportscenter & BBC News

Then I got to painting them bright colors, again on more plastic bags. I love painting things. I only splattered paint once and it was on the black mini-fridge. Luckily it wiped clean. Phew.
TV: Chopped

Drying for a few hours.
No TV: Sleep

The next morning I woke up early on my own, two hours before my alarm because building bookends is fun. I glued the tower parts to each other after touching up the paint a bit. I also fixed a hole I had accidentally made in one of the blocks, because I'm just that coordinated.
TV: Mike & Mike in the Morning (ESPN)

Finally I attached the towers to the green slab backing.
TV: Little League World Series!


Then I packed each end into a black bag for safe keeping and drove to Nashville to watch Anna-Lisa knock the dissertating socks off of her committee.

4 comments:

M said...

This, my friend, is why you will always be cooler than me.

I love the bookends, and I LOVE the narrative. :-)

just a little bit mo said...

How did I not see this post till now? Warms my heart, you building bookends in a motel with an ESPN soundtrack.

rantipoler said...

And the result was AWESOMENESS! The result of your project, not my defense. Best. Bookends. EVER.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I dunno, to have your committee say, "we were just in here singing your praises," is a pretty cool way to top off your excellent defense. So maybe the defense tied with the surprisingly heavy bookends.