Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Dangers To Be Had When Naming Children

I mean, not that I personally have ever had this problem, except when I try to convince friends to name their daughter Vanessa Gretchen or Gretchen Vanessa. But during my intense Masters and Doctoral research of Harry Potter I have noticed some important naming patterns that I think must be taken into account.

For example, Remus John Lupin. He wasn't born a werewolf, as he was bitten by Fenrir Greyback in his childhood. But his parents were nuts for naming him Remus, it's like they were carving his fate in stone.

Also, Fenrir? Who names their son Fenrir? Psycho parents, obviously.

It's not hard to believe that Narcissa Black Malfoy's parents would name her such. They were huge snobs.

Her sister, Bellatrix? Their parents had some serious bellicose fantasies they wanted to live out through their daughter.

Their cousin, Sirius Black, is named after the dog star. His form as an animagus is like so unsurprising.

Dolores Umbridge has the most perfect name. She totes deserved it.

Mundugus Fletcher? Nasty name.

There's a nice ironic name, too: Bartemius. We don't know about Sr.'s dad. But I'm guessing he was an obnoxious, letter-of-the-law type of man that totally missed the point of life.

etc. etc. etc. I could continue the list due to my exhaustive research into the matter, but meh, I'm done.


Anyway, just be careful when you're naming your kids is all I'm saying.

7 comments:

rantipoler said...

Oh, I'm totes going with "Treasure Cocaine" next time.

Kimberly said...

Copy/pasted directly from a FB status today (yes, they live in Utah): Okay, we're working on narrowing this list down, but here are some potential names for our baby girl: Brielle, Callista, Cambria, Cecily, Ember, Geneva, Haven, Meleah, Sabine, Samara, Sloane, Verity, Zoe.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Ember? Really? Why not Charcoalle?
I don't understand people giving their kids names like this. The obsession with wanting your kids to be so uber unique that their very name is a sign of it is getting old.

And A-L, I'mma call her (him?) TC.

just a little bit mo said...

Love this post. Love this topic. And Gretchen Vanessa or Vanessa Gretchen are classics.

Vanessa Swenson said...

Well, MO, you were very successful in the naming of Sammy, so I trust your judgment. ;)

Angela said...

I totally agree my poor nephew his name is Mark Wyatt Howard Neilson Bryant. Try signing that a few times. And my niece Harlie Inez. The sad thing is I've tried to find personalized things for my son Jason. Who knew you can't get anything with Jason on it, but if his name were Jaden you can. I find it ironic. And don't get me started with naming your child after food. Apple is not someone's first name. Why on earth would Jessica Simpson name her daughter Maxwell? I know she's an air head but come on!

Vanessa Swenson said...

The name "Mark Wyatt Howard Neilson Bryant" sounds like the parents are trying to make him the Prince of the American Southwest.